Lesley Wood: From Paint to Thread


Lesley Wood came to Harrogate Creative Stitchers this Saturday afternoon to share her work and speak about the inspiration and meaning behind them.  As I was unable to make the talk this week, this month's blog is shorter than the usual format and photographs are courtesy of member Sue Overton (thank you Sue).  I know that our members and non-members really enjoyed Lesley's talk and her talent and beautiful art speaks for itself.  For more information about Lesley's work I have included her artist statement taken from her website at https://lesleywoodtextileart.wordpress.com/ along with more stunning photographs of her embroideries.  Lesley is on Instagram @l.wood100

 

 


 

Lesley's Artist statement: "I am a textile mixed media artist from Durham with a Fine Art degree who is a member of The Embroiderers’ Guild and The Society For Embroidered Work. Following a career in teaching I am now fully engaged in my creative practice. My work has been selected for many open and juried exhibitions across the U.K. and received a number of awards. Including first prize for the Hand & Lock Textile Open Art Prize 2021, the Madeira Threads U.K. 2023 competition (mostly hand embroidery category) and the Embroiderers’ Guild Margaret Nicholson Award 2023.  My work is mainly figurative with a strong narrative. I am interested and inspired by the origins of domestic everyday textiles. Vintage fabrics often bear the marks of previous owners and makers and are capable of evoking memories and connecting on an emotional level. By reclaiming fabrics, ephemera and hand stitching I merge the historic with the contemporary and create new narratives from the biography of the cloth."

Also just to introduce the woman behind the words! I am Louise Turnbull and I have been a member of HCS for several years now and take photos, write the social media posts and this blog which I really enjoy.  My passion is textile art and my work speaks about my connection to nature through natural dyeing and stitch.  You can find me on Instagram @louturnbull.textileart .  Until next time :) 



 

Comments